Comprehensive MedPsych Systems – Psychotherapy Services
Psychotherapy is an intervention employed by trained psychotherapists to help patients increase their sense of well-being and reduce emotional discomfort. Psychotherapists use many techniques rooted in relationship-building, dialog, communication, and behavior changes designed to improve the mental health of the patient or to improve family relationships as a whole.
Client confidentiality is when a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker or counselor is legally bound to not reveal information about their patients to a third party without the consent of the patient. However, there are extenuating circumstances, such as in the case of imminent suicide or homicide, elder or child abuse, abuse of someone who is disabled, inappropriate sexual relationships with healthcare workers, or court order from a judge.
Psychotherapy Modalities We Offer at Comprehensive MedPsych Systems
- Individual Psychotherapy: One-on-one interaction between a therapist and a patient. The therapist will attempt to understand a patient’s thoughts and feelings involved in behaviors and decision making, helping the patient develop effective strategies for managing stress and emotions.
- Family Psychotherapy: A therapist will meet with several members of a family to help them more thoroughly understand the thoughts, motivations, feelings, and behaviors of the other family members – all in an effort to improve communication and increase the use of effective behavior choices which helps the family function better as a unit.
- Couples Therapy: The therapist helps individuals in a relationship better understand and express their needs, and better understand the needs of the other. The focus is on developing problem resolution strategies so the relationship becomes healthier and can therefore withstand stress and crisis.
- Group Psychotherapy: A psychotherapist meets with a group of patients with similar emotional issues. Patients learn how others are dealing with similar issues to develop strategies for how to react and cope more effectively. Each member shares his or her feelings and reactions in a safe, confidential environment led by the psychotherapist.
Psychotherapy Techniques That May be Utilized at Comprehensive MedPsych Systems
- Psychodynamic psychotherapy: A type of insight-oriented “talk therapy” designed to explore underlying conscious or unconscious causes impacting how a patient is feeling or acting.
- Humanistic psychology: A school of psychology focuses on the human dimension of psychology.
- Behavior Therapy: Therapists use specific strategies to encourage behaviors that are appropriate and functional, and discourage those that are not, through the use of positive and negative reinforcers.
- Interactive Psychotherapy/Play Therapy: Interactive psychotherapy takes place between a therapist and typically a child who does not have a sufficient grasp of language for verbal reasoning psychotherapy to be helpful.
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT): A form of psychotherapy emphasizing the critical role of thinking in how a patient feels and how they act or behave. The therapist helps the patient modify everyday thoughts and behaviors to positively influence emotions and ultimately behavior.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT): A psychological method used to treat patients with difficulties in regard to emotional reactivity, especially with anger, rage, anxiety, and mood swings. The therapist and patient work together to improve emotional and behavioral coping skills.
- Psychoanalysis: A treatment approach augmented by contributions from Freud, along with neuroscience, linguistics, and sociology in regards to exploring unconscious processes.
- Cognitive Rehabilitation: Evidence-based interventions designed to improve cognitive functioning in brain-injured or otherwise cognitively impaired individuals to restore normal functioning, or to compensate for cognitive deficits.
- Clinical Hypnosis: Clinical hypnosis is a treatment the employs a variety of stress management and relaxation strategies used to improve recovery from chronic pain and to decrease anxiety. In addition, it is effective to treat phobias, insomnia, smoking, and weight loss among other ailments.
Contact Comprehensive MedPsych Systems today.